Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Geshmache Yid!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Geshmache Yid!

All things Jewish

2 posters

How do you feel about school prayer?

Arik
    Arik
    Admin

How do you feel about school prayer? Empty How do you feel about school prayer?

Post  Arik Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:39 pm

I am reading a book called "G-d on Trial" about the whole separation of Church/state.
    Was wondering how people here felt about it. Personally, I think religion should be taught at home and not in school, at the same time i think we should be careful not to totally remove any religion from public life since it could be a slippery slope.
    Thoughts?
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

How do you feel about school prayer? Empty Re: How do you feel about school prayer?

Post  Yehudah Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:23 pm

I have two lines of thought that contradict each other:

1) This country was founded on the belief in G-d. We've always prayed in school, and the vast majority of children in school believe in G-d. The ones that don't, don't have to participate. The ones that don't believe like the others, don't have to participate. Majority rules, just like in the Torah.

-and-

2) Prayer should not be in public schools. You want your kid to be religious? Send him/her to a private religious school.

I know I can't have it both ways. I've believed in #1 for many many years... now though, because of the baseless hatred of non-religious (and supposedly religious) kids (and aduults), I'm leaning seriously towards #2.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

How do you feel about school prayer? Empty Re: How do you feel about school prayer?

Post  Arik Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:56 pm

I know what you mean about "majority rules" however if the majority is Xtian and want to pray in the name of jesus then I would have a problem with that if my kid was having to pray in the name of another "savior" other than G-d. and if I complained then the xtians would cause my kid's life to be hell. On the other hand, I have no problems with xtians having their own private after school clubs or bible study groups as well i think anyone should have that right to do providing it's not something that is forced.
    When i was a kid and played football, our coach always lead a "team prayer" before every game. We always just prayed to "G-d" and nobody thought anything about it.
    I would imagine today, some people would see a lawsuit opportunity. Rolling Eyes
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Post  Yehudah Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:41 pm

Fortunately, we send our kids to religious schools, so it isn't a problem for us. But I remember being in school... when it wasn't an issue.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:58 am