Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Geshmache Yid!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Geshmache Yid!

All things Jewish

5 posters

How do you feel about Snowden?

Arik
    Arik
    Admin

How do you feel about Snowden? Empty How do you feel about Snowden?

Post  Arik Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Hero? Patriot? Weasel? Traitor?
    I'm not sure I personally have my mind made up yet.
    espear

How do you feel about Snowden? Empty Re: How do you feel about Snowden?

Post  espear Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:12 pm

I think a little bit of everything.... then again, from what I've heard, he should have never been hired by the company that did the NSA work to begin with. It's putting a company in Pittsburg in a bit of hot water, but that's what happens when you rush background checks to get paid faster.

I don't think it was right that he leaked classified information, but on the other hand, the NSA (and the rest of the gov't) has been looking into law-abiding citizens illegally. So, was he right for doing what he did?? It's yes and no, but I'm leaning closer to the yes than the no. Our country was built on the foundation of the government staying out of our lives, the law-abiding CITIZENS, and at the rate we're going, we won't have any right left to protect... that is, if we allow the gov't to continue on this path.
    DAnderso

Post  DAnderso Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:53 pm

As far as I'm concerned Snowden only confirmed what alot of conspiracy theorists have been saying for years. That the government has been spying on its citizens for its own purposes. Is that right or wrong? If a person thoroughly supports their government without question then it is wrong, but to me I don't trust the government at all with anything, so I lean towards he did the right thing. The bigger questions that no one is asking are: Did what he did make a difference? and Did what he did change anything other than our perceptions? The answers to both are no. So in the larger picture he created more problems and difficulties for everyone involved.

"Sooner or later a Hero lives long enough to see himself become the Villain."
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks for joining Dave and welcome to the forums.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:46 am

DAnderso wrote:As far as I'm concerned Snowden only confirmed what alot of conspiracy theorists have been saying for years.  That the government has been spying on its citizens for its own purposes.  Is that right or wrong?  If a person thoroughly supports their government without question then it is wrong, but to me I don't trust the government at all with anything, so I lean towards he did the right thing.  The bigger questions that no one is asking are: Did what he did make a difference?  and Did what he did change anything other than our perceptions?  The answers to both are no.  So in the larger picture he created more problems and difficulties for everyone involved.

"Sooner or later a Hero lives long enough to see himself become the Villain."
    I guess you are right. I don't think much has or is going to be changed due to the fact that let's face it, nobody is even really talking about Snowden anymore. The media keeps the attention deficient masses occupied with other circuses. Much like the Boston Bomber or the Treyvon Martin case, it's quickly forgotten. I think that is unfortunate because i think more attention needs to be paid to the way this government is stepping all over the constitution.
    David Armstrong

Post  David Armstrong Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Like others I'm rather ambivalent. I like the fact that he made public what was a poorly kept secret and got the public's attention on the issue. However, I just can't support someon who violates their contract and then runs away to someplace where they do not have to worry about answering for their actions. I would have respected him a lot more if he would have stayed here, or come back, after the revelations about the NSA.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:30 pm

David Armstrong wrote:  I would have respected him a lot more if he would have stayed here, or come back, after the revelations about the NSA.
    Do you really think he would have been treated fairly had he done that? I would imagine he would have been railroaded by this administration. I hardly think he would have gotten fair treatment...Now if he were a Islamic terrorist, that me be a different story under this administration.......
    David Armstrong

Post  David Armstrong Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Sepends on what you mean by "treated fairly" I guess. If he honestly thought he was doing right and was a whistle-blower he could have tried for protection under the whistleblower laws. The fact he did not do so sort of indicates to me that he knew what he was doing was wrong no matter what justifications he now offers.
    neoinarien

Post  neoinarien Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Mostly hero, and I don't have a problem fleeing the country.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:50 pm

neoinarien wrote:Mostly hero, and I don't have a problem fleeing the country.

Hey Neo! Long time, no see :-)

The question I have is this..If he didn't feel so strongly about what he discovered and uncovered, why would he have left his life and his family and job and beautiful fiance and his own country behind just for the sake of exposing this??

If it wasn't any big deal, I don't see why anyone would do that.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:47 am