Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Geshmache Yid!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Geshmache Yid!

All things Jewish

3 posters

Let's talk about Rambam

Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Let's talk about Rambam Empty Let's talk about Rambam

Post  Arik Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:20 am

Some claim he is a heretic. I have read his work The Guide for the Perplexed and was fascinated by his viewpoints. I agree with many of them. Thoughts?
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Let's talk about Rambam Empty Re: Let's talk about Rambam

Post  Yehudah Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:38 am

The RAMBAM was a very holy man. He understood things about Torah that others didn't. I haven't read the book yet... need to get it on my list.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:07 pm

One of the great things he explained was the idea that G-d has no human attributes. In fact proving the often repeated statement that "The Torah is written in the language of men" That often when it speaks of "G-d said" or G-d looked" "G-d's mighty arm" that in fact is written only to make us understand, not that G-d literally has eyes or arms or any human attribute. Such as Anger or sadness since these are human attributes. In fact he feel we can only ever speak of G-d in the negative such as what G-d isn't rather than what he is.
    He also explains many of the Torah laws in a more "common sense" way helping us to understand in that book just what the practices of the time were. The law concerning various types such as linen/cotton/etc.
    Philip
    Philip

Post  Philip Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:33 pm

I read that he was a literal Genius having memorized the entire Torah as a kid! He also did much of his Torah writings after work. Imagine if he did it full time.
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Post  Yehudah Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:40 pm

Philip wrote:I read that he was a literal Genius having memorized the entire Torah as a kid! He also did much of his Torah writings after work. Imagine if he did it full time.
    He was a Torah genius.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:07 am

An interesting article on some of Maimonides' view on this guy's blog:

http://ajewintheworld.blogspot.com/2009/10/maimonides-religious-agnosticism.html#comment-form
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:49 pm

I was actually thinking we maybe could have a RAMBAM section on here maybe?
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Post  Yehudah Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:05 pm

We need to be careful how we talk about not only G-d, but our sages and Rabbaim.

The blog link you posted doesn't fit well with our line of thought. Rambam was a genius, and his characterizations of G-d fall completely in line with traditional thought. So the author of the blog is waaaay off.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:58 pm

I didn't write the blog. It was posted for the purpose of discussion. If you disagree, how so? By all means. It helps when people actually participate in the discussions. I asked if we could start an actual section on Rambam, no answer.
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Post  Yehudah Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:39 pm

The blogster says that Rambam didn't think and write about G-d like everyone does/did. I read the post and bailed. Once the blogger threw his 2cents in that contradicted chazal, I was over it.

I'm careful about what I read, I won't read anything that is counter to what I believe. All it serves to do is piss me off (sorry).

The blogger fancies himself a free thinker, wonderful for him. It's clear that he thinks he knows Rambam - very great Rabbaim toiled their entire lives to try and understand Rambam.

He very obviously doesn't know what he's talking about, but thinks he does. Not the traditional cup of tea.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Just got the EIGHT CHAPTERS OF THE RAMBAM from a friend of mine.. Excellent work.. Smile
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Post  Yehudah Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:21 am

you'll have to let me know how you liked it....interested.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:26 pm