Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Geshmache Yid!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Geshmache Yid!

All things Jewish

2 posters

What would possess us....

Yehudah
    Yehudah

What would possess us.... Empty What would possess us....

Post  Yehudah Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:10 am

as Religious Jews, to greet each other with secular holiday greetings?

I don't get it. The very people who murdered our people over the course of the last 2000 years are the ones who originated these secular holidays. And we greet each other with them??

We live in a secular world, and have to abide by their rules when we are out there. When we are greeted, we give greetings back. Even though we don't mammish observe their holidays we greet them back not out of respect but out of kindness - we don't want to embarrass them and bring discredit upon ourselves.

...but we DON'T greet each other with their treifediche avodah zarah laden holiday greetings.

Over the last month, I've received countless greetings from my goyishe friends for their holidays. I can count on one hand the number of greetings I've received for OUR holidays.

See it yet? They don't respect us, they don't care if they embarrass us, they don't care if it bothers us. All they care about is that we respond to their greetings the way they want us to.

I'm appalled. We know better.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

What would possess us.... Empty Re: What would possess us....

Post  Arik Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:42 pm

I don't thik they are doing it with the intention of being disrespectful. Most people well say "Merry Xmas" just to be friendly. I usually respond with "happy holidays" or just say " it's not really my Holiday, but thanks anyway."
    Most of my non-Jewish friends and co-workers know I am Jewish and just say "Enjoy your holiday season.
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Post  Yehudah Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:36 pm

Arik S. wrote:I don't thik they are doing it with the intention of being disrespectful. Most people well say "Merry Xmas" just to be friendly. I usually respond with "happy holidays" or just say " it's not really my Holiday, but thanks anyway."
    Most of my non-Jewish friends and co-workers know I am Jewish and just say "Enjoy your holiday season.

What I'm more concerned with is Yiddin. We as Jews should NEVER even think about greeting each other with things like this. Avodah zarah is avodah zarah, no matter how pretty they make it.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:49 pm

Well, I haven't noticed Jews greeting each other like that, but when it's a goy, I just say "Happy Holidays"

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:36 pm