Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Geshmache Yid!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Geshmache Yid!

All things Jewish

3 posters

Let's talk about sacrifice

neoinarien

Let's talk about sacrifice Empty Let's talk about sacrifice

Post  neoinarien Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:39 pm

So what role does sacrifice play within Judaism?

Obviously, sacrifice has a VERY important traditional role, that is still carried on in Christianity (by that I mean Catholicism), but I am largely unaware of how this concept is handled, perpetuated, etc today within Judaism (or post second Temple in general).

Yehudah
    Yehudah

Let's talk about sacrifice Empty Re: Let's talk about sacrifice

Post  Yehudah Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:50 pm

We can't bring karbonos obviously, it's prohibited because you can only bring them on the mitzbeach - and ours was destroyed.

So we daven, give tzedukah, do teshuva, learn, and lead lives of Torah and mitzvah.

Once the Beis Shaynei has been built, we'll bring our karbonos.

Until then, we can't.
    neoinarien

Post  neoinarien Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm sorry Yehudah, but all I got from that hebrew-english mish-mosh is that you can't make atonements because the temple is gone... therefore you are left to live the law and await the third temple?
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Post  Yehudah Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:58 pm

It isn't mish mosh (google is your friend).

I never said we can't atone, I said we can't bring karbonos.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Mish Mosh?? Sorry man that's funny. I never heard that term
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:30 am

neoinarien wrote:So what role does sacrifice play within Judaism?

Obviously, sacrifice has a VERY important traditional role, that is still carried on in Christianity (by that I mean Catholicism), but I am largely unaware of how this concept is handled, perpetuated, etc today within Judaism (or post second Temple in general).

are you asking how we recieve atonement without them? ( sacrifices i mean)

How do we get forgiveness of sins..hmm......

You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of G-d are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O G-d, you will not despise. [Psalm 51-17]

To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the Eternal than sacrifice. [Proverbs 21]

Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but my ears you have pierced; burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require. [Psalm 40]

He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy. [Proverbs 28]

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. [2 Chronicles 7:14]

But if from there you seek the Eternal your G-d, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul. [Deuteronomy 4]

He prays to G-d and finds favor with him, he sees G-d's face and shouts for joy; he is restored by G-d to his righteous state. [Job 33]

Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it. [Psalm 34]

Take words with you and return to the Eternal. Say to him: "Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously, that we may offer the bulls of our lips. [Hosea 14]

Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for; through the fear of the Eternal a man avoids evil. [Proverbs 16]

For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of G-d rather than burnt offerings. [Hosea 6]

Atonement and forgiveness of sins was always available to us. It was in the beginning, always will be. Nobody can "pay" for our sins but each of us.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content