Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Geshmache Yid!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Geshmache Yid!

All things Jewish

3 posters

What would you do in this situation?

Arik
    Arik
    Admin

What would you do in this situation? Empty What would you do in this situation?

Post  Arik Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:08 pm

Jewish Surgeon Walks Out on Nazi Patient

by Chana Ya'ar

A Jewish doctor walked out of an operating room
    in Germany last week after seeing a Nazi tattoo on his patient’s arm.

“I will not operate on your husband,” he told the patient’s wife. “I am Jewish.” The patient, a 36-year-old man, bore a tattoo of the Reichsadler, the Imperial Eagle, perched on a swastika.

The 46-year-old surgeon had another doctor finish the procedure, according to the daily Bild, which published an article Friday about the incident in the North Rhine-Westphalian city of Paderborn.

Public display of Nazi symbols has been illegal in Germany since the end of World War II. Violation of the law carries a sentence of up to three years in jail.

Prior to the rise of the Third Reich, the eagle was a German national symbol, and continued as such following the war. Currently it is called the Bundesadler.

Responses to the article posted on the newspaper’s website were mixed, with several readers expressing views that the doctor was unprofessional for not being able to separate his own personal feelings from his work. Others observed that the doctor might well have placed himself at risk by continuing: “Imagine, if anything had gone wrong and he was accused of being influenced,” one reader pointed out.

“A good call,” opined a third, who added, “he was doing the right thing for the safety of the patient,” because it was possible that he “could not continue with the operation with full concentration because of the tatoo (sic).”

The doctor’s actions, and the article, also affected at least one reader’s perceptions of Jews as a result:

“I’m glad I read this, as I’m always falling out with an Israeli friend over Israeli treatment of the Palestinians, and I feared that I might be anti-Semitic,” he wrote. “I agree 100 percent with the doctor, given that he handed over to another surgeon. He didn’t do the guy any harm, but set (sic) a signal.”
    http://www.sidetick.com/blog.php?user=21534&blogentry_id=63762&c=263
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

What would you do in this situation? Empty Re: What would you do in this situation?

Post  Yehudah Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:00 pm

I would have done the same thing.

Tikkun Olam would be lost on a nazi.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

What would you do in this situation? Empty Re: What would you do in this situation?

Post  Arik Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:02 pm

Perhaps, but maybe like the story I posted earlier, that person may have changed. There are cases of people's lives changing. This would have been a good opportunity.
    Also don't doctors take an oath to ease pain and suffering? It doesn't specify "who"

Just asking.
    Philip
    Philip

Post  Philip Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:20 pm

I think the Doctor was emotionally compromised and did the right thing. Its like an Attorney having to decline a client for conflict of interest. This may have come up in WW2 with a Jewish doctor having to treat a wounded Nazi.... but in that case, our military doctors always treat the enemy wounded in our custody and they know this ahead of time.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:23 pm

It would kind of be like when I am on duty and someone tried to hang themselves or were the victim of a stabbing and I said "I cannot help you, you are in here for a crime i don't agree with, or you have a swastika tattoo, so I am not going to try and save you"
    From a Moral and a professional standpoint, this would be wrong.
    Philip
    Philip

Post  Philip Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:14 am

Well of course if you are THE person on Duty you would save a life.... but this Doc had back up and this surgery sounded like it was not crucial or life saving. It was a "procedure". I honestly believe this Doctor would have tried to save the man's life had it been a do or die situation. I don't think we can Judge his actions because we weren't in his shoes or know his family History concerning the Holocaust. Morality is fuzzy when one remembers Grandpa and Grandmother who were butchered by the Nazis whom this patient supports enough to etch their symbol in his skin. If he continued with the Surgery with Anger in his heart he may not have been able to do his best and let the patient die or feel unnecessary pain. To go through with the Surgery would have also been immoral and unprofessional if he were emotionally conflicted. This is why Attorneys and judges are REQUIRED to withdraw from a case when a conflict of interest is involved. I don't see why Doctors are any different. Most docs don't treat their own family from what I have read because of this.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am