Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.
Geshmache Yid!

All things Jewish

Understanding

walker

Understanding

Post  walker on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:15 pm

Okay, January I read Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus and this month I hope to finish Numbers, and Deuteronomy but I was wondering. what would you recommend as good reading for interpreting the laws and what they mean?

preferably something easy for a simple minded Christian, like me, to understand. Maybe something for children? Too much Hebrew, I don't understand and I get lost.

Arik
    Admin

Re: Understanding

Post  Arik on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:04 pm

Walker, the absolute best thing I can recommend is a stone edition T'nach and/or the stone edition Chumash The Tanach is the Torah plus the prophets/writing, it's got excellent commentary added from Rashi, Rambam and Ibn Ezra to name a few.

You can find one here on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tanach-Stone-Student-Size-Black/dp/1578191122/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265328110&sr=1-1

The Chumash is just the 5 books of the Torah but the commentary is much much more in depth.
    Here: http://www.amazon.com/Chumash-Stone-Artscroll-Nosson-Scherman/dp/0899060145/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265328165&sr=1-1

Both are excellent study tools and will help you greatly. a lot of good commentary to make it much easier to follow and understand what is being discussed. it also has one of the best translations from Hebrew to English that you will ever find.

Is there any meaning in any of the laws that has you particularly perplexed?

Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:57 am

You'll find once you get one or both of these that you will wonder how you ever were able to study without them. The books of the Torah must be studied, not read, and the commentary will be a great help.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:48 pm

Current date/time is Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:48 pm