Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Geshmache Yid!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Geshmache Yid!

All things Jewish

4 posters

How do you handle it?

Yehudah
    Yehudah

How do you handle it? Empty How do you handle it?

Post  Yehudah Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:38 am

A man starts coming to shul on Shabbos. He claims to be a conservative convert, spewing all kinds of ideas from kosher books he's been reading (Mishnayos, Shulkan Aruch, etc). He can not be converted (Orthodox) because his xtian wife won't play, yet he still comes to shul.

He, at times, proseltyzes in shul on Shabbos... which is a serious nono. And overall he just doesn't get it.

He's a smart guy... too smart? How long should we let him stick around? Should we wait until he says the wrong words? Should we be a little more proactive?

He was gone for two weeks on his xmas vacation with his wife (totally understandable). But this morning he shows up for Shachris.

I dunno... I don't want him anywhere near my community...
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

How do you handle it? Empty Re: How do you handle it?

Post  Arik Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:22 am

Is the biggest problem you're having is that he has a Xtian wife or that he is a conservative or what?
    When you say he proselytizes. Do you mean in the xtian sense?
    What do you mean he is "Spewing things from kosher books?"
    explain please
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Post  Yehudah Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:17 pm

Arik S. wrote:Is the biggest problem you're having is that he has a Xtian wife or that he is a conservative or what?
    When you say he proselytizes. Do you mean in the xtian sense?
    What do you mean he is "Spewing things from kosher books?"
    explain please

I guess my biggest problem is that he comes to Shul and talks Jewish things in a xtian way (which may or may not be considered bad depending on who you are and what you like) during services. That drives me crazy. It drives me crazy for him to say "amen" while the Rav gives his drasha on Shabbos.

I understand shalom bais very very well, trust me.... but at what point should a supposed religious Jew NOT celebrate xtian holidays?

I guess I'm ultra sensitive or something... my Shul is Orthodox, he wants to play and we let him, he's way too comfortable IMO.

::::::mini rant over::::::::

You know... you and I are gehrim... but there is a difference in what he does and what we do.
    walker

Post  walker Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:30 am

Pro-active is always best in my opinion. If you go into someone else's house it is your responsibility to be courteous and respect their rules.

Maybe he doesn't know the rules. If he does know them however, then it is disrespectful and you have a responsibility (IMHO) to let him know in a firm but courteous manner...

if he still persist then remind him in a not so courteous manner...

If it still persist... well then he's doing it on purpose and he doesn't belong there.

but that's just my opinion
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:13 am

Give things a chance. if he's new, he may well grow out of it. Not everyone is perfect and it takes adjustment especially if he's not used to doing things at your shul the way he did at his other shul. I noticed from being at different places of worship that each congregation may do things very slightly different.
    If he says "amen" when he shouldn't kindly point it out to him.
    Maybe talk to him about his celebrating Xtian holidays. Again we have to realize that not everyone learns and grows at the same speed. Many of us were there at one time or another.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:04 am

How's it going now Yehudah? is that guy still there?
    Philip
    Philip

Post  Philip Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:49 pm

In my opinion it is wrong that any Jew should celebrate ANY Christian holiday. I think the Torah is clear on adopting any special days from the Nations.

I also have read that the traditions of a community override one's previous community. One must adapt to the new community and elders. The Amen stuff...... are you sure he is not a messianic infiltrator? I have heard of them converting and lying about their allegiances to gain access to Jewish communities. Be warned...... Messianics will deny Jesus christ all day long but when asked about Yeshua hamashiach they cave due to the rule about not denying him.
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Post  Yehudah Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:17 pm

He moved to a different part of the sanctuary. ...sitting next to our Gabbai affraid

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 pm