Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.
Geshmache Yid!

All things Jewish

Westboro Baptist Church Says It Will Picket Vigil For Connecticut School Shooting Victims

Arik
    Admin

Westboro Baptist Church Says It Will Picket Vigil For Connecticut School Shooting Victims

Post  Arik on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:57 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/westboro-baptist-church-picket-connecticut-school-shooting_n_2312186.html

The Westboro Baptist Church, the controversial group known for protesting outside funerals of slain U.S. service members, announced that it will picket a vigil for the victims of Friday's Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, the second-deadliest school shooting in American history.

Shirley Phelps-Roper, a spokesperson for the group and, like most members of the organization, a relative of the group's founder, Fred Phelps, announced on Twitter on Saturday the group's plan "to sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgment."

It is unclear when the group plans to protest, although a tweet from Margie Phelps implied that it would be during a vigil that will be attended by President Barack Obama on Sunday evening.

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church say that America is being punished for its acceptance of gays and lesbians. In recent days, Phelps family members have sent tweets about the Connecticut shooting that have said "God sent the shooter."

Not surprisingly, the group's announcement was met with resistance online. A Change.org petition asking for Connecticut officials to prevent the group from protesting has been launched, and users of the social news and link sharing site Reddit have been discussing ways to stage a counter-protest.

A Facebook event that calls for "counter-activity" to "keep any hatred from touching" the grieving families has over 10,000 attendees, but because of a bomb threat in Newtown on Sunday, the event has been cancelled.

I hope somebody mows them down...they are over the top and its an outrage.

David Armstrong

Re: Westboro Baptist Church Says It Will Picket Vigil For Connecticut School Shooting Victims

Post  David Armstrong on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:05 pm

The strength of a free society is also its weakness, in that it has to allow unpopular views to be expressed in order to insure that popular views are not repressed. My personal suggestion has always been that it should be a specific crime to assualt anyone protesting at a funeral. It should be a misdemeanor, and the maximum fine should be $1 including court costs.

I take that from my model legislation related to the desecration of the Flag, BTW! Laughing
    Arik
    Admin

Re: Westboro Baptist Church Says It Will Picket Vigil For Connecticut School Shooting Victims

Post  Arik on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:29 am

I think in such a delicate and emotional situation. Something like that should not be allowed

David Armstrong

Post  David Armstrong on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:35 am

The problem with not allowing it is that then the government gets to have the right to decide what speech is appropriate or acceptable and what is not. I don't trust my government that much.
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik on Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:04 pm

David Armstrong wrote:The problem with not allowing it is that then the government gets to have the right to decide what speech is appropriate or acceptable and what is not. I don't trust my government that much.

I understand that..but where do we draw the line at what is "speech" and what is incitement?

Post  Adi on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Could we consider what the Church is doing a Hate Crime?
    Maybe that's a way around the "freedom of speech" argument in this situation.
    It's a tricky subject. While we enjoy so much more freedom in our country, I think
    people are pushing the freedom to the brink of collapsing into chaos.
    Yehudah

Post  Yehudah on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:40 am

Once you start allowing the fed to decide what is not acceptable for the 1A; then everything else will fall.

reference Nazi Germany, Mid-evil Europe, Rome, Greece, Boshevic Russia, modern Middle East, etc....

Give the fed and inch, and they'll take a parsek.

David Armstrong

Post  David Armstrong on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:18 am

Arik wrote:
    David Armstrong wrote:The problem with not allowing it is that then the government gets to have the right to decide what speech is appropriate or acceptable and what is not. I don't trust my government that much.

I understand that..but where do we draw the line at what is "speech" and what is incitement?
    That is what we have the courts for. Theoretically (and hopefully) a disinterested body that will rule based on the law rather than politics or emotion. I know it doesn't always work out that way, but I'm always going to come down on the side of more freedom than less. Remember, if we give the government the poser to decide what speech is good and what is bad then they would have the power to prohibit the motorcyclists who try to stay between the protesters and the funeral, as well as prohibiting the protesters, just depending on which view they happened to favor at the time.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:47 am