Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Geshmache Yid!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Geshmache Yid!

All things Jewish

3 posters

Greatest Misconceptions about the OT

juggy4711

Greatest Misconceptions about the OT Empty Greatest Misconceptions about the OT

Post  juggy4711 Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:25 pm

What do you consider some of the greatest misconceptions about the OT and what are the proper context and meanings of those?
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Greatest Misconceptions about the OT Empty Re: Greatest Misconceptions about the OT

Post  Arik Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:32 am

Well, your question is very broad. You would have to be more specific.
    Most common misconceptions is that G-d portrayed in the Tanach is somehow a blood-thirsty, vengeful G-d who seeks only to punish whenever his children step out of line. Usually this is when people proof text in order to discredit it. Also a big misconception is that the Tanach is built around jsus or the Messiah. The Tanach is built around G-d and his Instructions to us. See, if you took jsus our of the NT, it falls apart and you no longer have xtianity.
    In Judaism, you could take Moses, or any of the prophets away and we would still be able to have Judaism. The main focus of our religion is simply put....G-d and Torah.
    In the same vein. Our prophets, unlike the "heroes" of the NT never claim to be infallible, Moses, David, King Solomon, etc... They all had their shortcoming. Why? It shows that even when someone is "righteous" nobody is perfect. King David gave us a great example of repentance because even he committed sins.
    YOu also notice, that unlike jsus, the Prime object of our Prophets was to draw people closer to Torah observance. They never pout emphasis on themselves or claimed that they were somehow "The Way" They always pointed to G-d and Torah.
    As for the rest of the meanings you are referring to, can you be more specific?
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Greatest Misconceptions about the OT Empty Re: Greatest Misconceptions about the OT

Post  Yehudah Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:41 am

Yasher koach.
    juggy4711

Post  juggy4711 Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:36 pm

I understand y'all have a prohibition against writing God all the way out but why do you leave the e out of Jesus?
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Post  Yehudah Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:57 pm

juggy4711 wrote:I understand y'all have a prohibition against writing God all the way out but why do you leave the e out of Jesus?
    Because we don't give the honor of spelling out names for avodah zarah. No need to respect something that not only may have never existed, but has caused so much pain and blood.
    juggy4711

Post  juggy4711 Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:23 am

What does avodah zarah mean? I think i have a guess from context but I'd like to know the proper translation.
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Post  Yehudah Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:33 am

juggy4711 wrote:What does avodah zarah mean? I think i have a guess from context but I'd like to know the proper translation.
    Avodah = service / worship, etc
    zarah = idolatry

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm