Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Geshmache Yid!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Geshmache Yid!

All things Jewish

5 posters

Do you consider atheism a religion?

Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Do you consider atheism a religion? Empty Do you consider atheism a religion?

Post  Arik Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:26 pm

Just curious....
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Do you consider atheism a religion? Empty Re: Do you consider atheism a religion?

Post  Yehudah Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:11 pm

If you define it in terms of what they DON'T believe in.. maybe.

I'd say no.
    Philip
    Philip

Do you consider atheism a religion? Empty Re: Do you consider atheism a religion?

Post  Philip Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:26 pm

Atheism is a religion in my opinion. It has a statement of Faith about supernatural matters which cannot be proven, "there is no God". Sometimes they even proselytize. They come up with codes of Conduct to prove they are more than animals and can be trusted, and are ethical without the Ten Commandments. It's a very simple religion, but one nonetheless.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:31 pm

Yeah that seems to be my position on it as well. Or rather it is with some of them. Like Richard Dawkins for example. It would seem to me that his atheism is his religion. while for others, it may not be.
    neoinarien

Post  neoinarien Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:27 am

Atheism is absolutely a religion.

Religion, to me, is a belief about the supernatural. Atheists absolutely have a belief about the supernatural. Moreover, they also have a coherent system of belief about it and even have different denominations (existentialism, humanism, etc).

The more interesting question, to me, is whether agnosticism is a religion.
    walker

Post  walker Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:21 pm

They have their own prophets, i.e. Dawkins and Darwin. They have their commandments, i.e. evolutionary psychology. They have their churches, i.e. liberal universities. I could go on...
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:29 am

The funny thing is, secular humanism as a core belief has not brought us the utopia that it's supporters have promised. When you look at the 20th century from it's start to its finish, it has been littered with genocide and atrocity. Pol Pot, Joseph Stalin, Chairman Mao, Adolf Hitler, all coming from a humanistic point of view with no higher moral authority, yet humanists insist they have morals and are somehow more "enlightened" than people who believe in the Divine and believe in Divine justice.
    Sad.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am