Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.

Geshmache Yid!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Geshmache Yid!

All things Jewish

4 posters

Studying G-d's Word and being accountable for what you know

Snapper2

Studying G-d's Word and being accountable for what you know Empty Studying G-d's Word and being accountable for what you know

Post  Snapper2 Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:35 pm

I have a few questions about Judaism. I've heard that to learn, religious Jews have to sit under a Rabbi. And whatever he says goes. Then he is responsible before G-d for his students? Another question is the age of accountability if there is one. I've heard it was at 40. Not sure this is a fact though. And who is responsible to G-d before a person reaches this age? Rabbi,parent,spouse....?If you are a non religious Jew does that classify with a non religious gentile in G-d's view of things? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks, Snapper
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Studying G-d's Word and being accountable for what you know Empty Re: Studying G-d's Word and being accountable for what you know

Post  Arik Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:51 pm

I wouldn't say they absolutely Have to sit under a rabbi, but realistically, it helps when you have a knowledgeable rabbi that one can go to for spiritual guidance or for questions on Halacha. The Talmud (Pirke Avote) tell us to aquire for ourselves a teacher, or if possible more than one, in some cases, seek out a friend to study with.
    In the same tractate, it explains that in a sense, a Rabbi is responsible for his students especially in the sense that he must have studied enough Law and be proficient in it enough so that he can give a proper ruling. For example should he tell a student that something is clean when it is in fact, unclean, he shares guilt should his student stray due to him giving an improper ruling.
    No, the age of accountability is 12 ( Bar Mitzvah age) that is when a boy is expected to and is required to begin fulfilling the various mitzvot and is accountable for whether or not he fills them. Up to that point, it is expected that parents teach their children what is and isn't acceptable per the Torah commandment that we should teach our children.
    A non religious Jew is still obligated to perform what is required of any Jew regardless. Just because he or she describes themselves as "non-religious" does not give them a pass. No, it doesn't classify you as the same as a non-religious Gentile.

No problem you asking questions. We all ask them :-)
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Studying G-d's Word and being accountable for what you know Empty Re: Studying G-d's Word and being accountable for what you know

Post  Yehudah Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:26 pm

Bar Mitzvah is 13. At 13, all boy are responsible for their own actions.

To learn effectively, you need to learn with a knowledgable chevrusa (being a Rabbi doesn't necessarily satisfy that requirement). Graduating from Yeshiva University doesn't make you a Rabbi, only smicha does. No every Rabbi gets smicha.

I learn with the Rav on Sunday mornings, the Gabbai on Wednesdays, the Cantor on Thursdays, and Daf Yomi with the assistant Rav each morning.

Out of them, only the Rav has smicha, but each of them is very well learned.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:44 pm

You're right 13 and a day. Blah,.... Brain fart here. Accept my apologies.
    Yehudah
    Yehudah

Post  Yehudah Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:13 am

np... )

Clarification The word Rabbi means teacher. Anyone who is knowledgeable and teaches others is considered a Rabbi. Many Rabbaim are very studied and graduated from "Rabbi" schools.... but not all of the follow through with smicha - mainly because only a select person can be a congregational Rabbi (and leader) - which is what smicha was designed for.
    Snapper2

Post  Snapper2 Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:40 pm

Thanks guys.
    Philip
    Philip

Post  Philip Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:03 pm

I think every Jewish man is responsible for his children's Jewish education. Torah is to be taught all the time in all situations. I almost don't think of Judaism as a "religion". It is a lifestyle of cycles and learning and being perfected through mitzvot.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Philip wrote:I think every Jewish man is responsible for his children's Jewish education. Torah is to be taught all the time in all situations. I almost don't think of Judaism as a "religion". It is a lifestyle of cycles and learning and being perfected through mitzvot.

Excellent point Phillip. It it is more than just a religion because Torah is just as important in a ritual life as how a Jew conducts his business, runs his household, etc. and the Torah/Talmud covers just about any situation one can think of in life.
    Arik
    Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Where have you been Snapper??

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:14 am