Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.
Geshmache Yid!

All things Jewish

Question on Christianity

neoinarien

Question on Christianity

Post  neoinarien on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:33 pm

So some of my Jewish friends are from Israel or have lead relatively sheltered lives. The end result is that they seem only dimly aware of the existence of different Christian sects, much like how many Christians are equally unaware of different sects of Judaism (or pseudo Judaism as Yehudah may describe it). For instance, a friend from Haifa thought that all Christians were under the Pope.

Now, obviously the readers here are probably a bit more well read and educated on the subject.

But what is your own perspective?

What is the broader Jewish perspective?

Are all Christians just the same? Are there worthwhile divisions? Etc.

Challenge: to answer without being denigrating cheers Smile (that was a joke, to be clear!)

Last edited by neoinarien on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : inserting the final clause)

Arik
    Admin

Re: Question on Christianity

Post  Arik on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:15 pm

This is an interesting question and not easy to answer. I cannot speak on behalf of all Jews since obviously many have many different opinions of Xtains.
    For myself, I have Xtian friends, just like I have friends who are atheists, agnostics or b*ddists. It doesn't matter if a person has a different faith than I do as long as they don't push their faith on me.
    To me, i look at xtianity the same why I look at any other religion other than my own. it works for some people, it's not for me. I have my reasons for why it isn't for me, you may disagree but it's all good.
    I realize there are many different "flavors" of xtianity. Jehovah's witnesses claim to be xtian, Catholics likewise, and Baptists and Methodists, etc. they all have different beliefs, they all claim to be right. The one thing that ties them all together is their all seeming to agree at least about the "divinity" of jsus.
    That by itself makes me kind of lump them together at least on that point. It would seem to me that a lot of xtians raise their "veneration" of him to the point of worship and to me, that means they worship something or someone other than G-d.
    To me that's on you who or what you worship. I believe there are xtians who are good people overall, however I have found that the term "xtian" is used just a bit too loosely in a lot of cases.
    There is the average "Joe xtian" who believes in jsus, maybe has read his bible once in a while, may even go to church on the holidays.
    There is the "Born again until out again xtian. These are those you usually meet in my line of work (corrections) who is all about how he is "saved" at least until the judge lets him out lol.
    Then there is the xtian who can never stop preaching, always trying to find converts and is generally a big pain in everyone's tokas.
    Basically the last two I have had the most problems with in my personal life. the phony "cartoon xtian" and the "holier than thou at least on Sundays" group. These are honestly people who often are the people who are also the most corrupt. A lot of them rub me the wrong way.
    unfortunately since the term is used so loosely, when someone tells me they are a xtian I am not sure where in the world to place them since they can fall into everything from the devout, every day studying their "NT" and being in church every Sunday to someone who says it because he thinks it's his obligation to say it since he was baptized when he was a baby.

Philip

Post  Philip on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:55 pm

There are as many different kinds of Christians as there are religions in the world!

neoinarien

Post  neoinarien on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:21 pm

Philip wrote:There are as many different kinds of Christians as there are religions in the world!

The estimates I've heard is that there are some 30,000-35,000 protestant denominations.

Though there is only one Catholic Church (Orthodox are cool too) Very Happy Cool

Forgive my ignorance, but isn;t the Church of England and the RCC both Catholic? yet different?

Philip

Post  Philip on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:27 pm

Wow 35,000 children!

neoinarien

Post  neoinarien on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:31 pm

Philip wrote:Wow 35,000 children!

Haha... hence the emphasis on abstinence, right?

walker

Post  walker on Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:57 pm

Are xtians going to hell or is their hope... from the Jewish perspective?

Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:07 pm

Judaism doesn't have the xtian idea of "Hell" also, the Torah teaches that the righteous of all nations have a share in the world to come. That's a big difference between our two faiths, one teaches one much believe in a certain man or one is condemned to "Hell" Our faith is that there is more than one way to reach that promised land.

Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:13 pm

neoinarien

Post  neoinarien on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:17 pm

Arik S. wrote:Judaism doesn't have the xtian idea of "Hell" also, the Torah teaches that the righteous of all nations have a share in the world to come. That's a big difference between our two faiths, one teaches one much believe in a certain man or one is condemned to "Hell" Our faith is that there is more than one way to reach that promised land.

As a note, Christianity DOES teach that members of other faiths may be 'saved'!

Now, when I say Christianity I am talking about Catholics and Orthodox... not 'insert Protestant brand here.'

Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:07 pm

Perhaps, but that being "saved" thing does come with the accepting the jsus as "Savior" does it not?

neoinarien

Post  neoinarien on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:10 pm

Arik S. wrote:Perhaps, but that being "saved" thing does come with the accepting the jsus as "Savior" does it not?

Nope.

Though, you need to be awfully righteous to make the cut if non-Xian.

Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik on Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:12 pm

See, as Jews, the Torah Shows us ways to make amends as well as non-Jews (Ezekiel chapter 18 for example) how though we are not perfect, we can still draw to G-d for forgiveness and G-d is always willing to forgive. G-d in His wisdom certainly knows we are not perfect and doesn't expect us to be. But he gives us a blueprint for how to live life the best we can and the blueprint for drawing on his mercy and forgiveness when we need it.

neoinarien

Post  neoinarien on Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:20 pm

Arik S. wrote:See, as Jews, the Torah Shows us ways to make amends as well as non-Jews (Ezekiel chapter 18 for example) how though we are not perfect, we can still draw to G-d for forgiveness and G-d is always willing to forgive. G-d in His wisdom certainly knows we are not perfect and doesn't expect us to be. But he gives us a blueprint for how to live life the best we can and the blueprint for drawing on his mercy and forgiveness when we need it.

If this were facebook, I'd click 'like.'

walker

Post  walker on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:27 pm

I guess I'd be the protestant here... I was always taught that some people have special cents with G_d. For instance a Jew may not need xtian faith if he is observant because of his observant because of his father's promise from G_d (Abraham).

Arik
    Admin

Post  Arik on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:28 pm

neoinarien wrote:
    Arik S. wrote:See, as Jews, the Torah Shows us ways to make amends as well as non-Jews (Ezekiel chapter 18 for example) how though we are not perfect, we can still draw to G-d for forgiveness and G-d is always willing to forgive. G-d in His wisdom certainly knows we are not perfect and doesn't expect us to be. But he gives us a blueprint for how to live life the best we can and the blueprint for drawing on his mercy and forgiveness when we need it.

If this were facebook, I'd click 'like.'

Well, I'll settle for you to hit the "+" LOL Basketball

Yehudah

Post  Yehudah on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:31 pm

walker wrote:I guess I'd be the protestant here... I was always taught that some people have special cents with G_d. For instance a Jew may not need xtian faith if he is observant because of his observant because of his father's promise from G_d (Abraham).

You aren't too far off Walker. By virtue of mattan Torah, Jews have a share. How much and what kind of share is determined by your lot here on earth and how you righteous you were. With Goyim it's the same way, with one exception: Goyim need to accept the 7 Laws of Noach as a guide for their lives at a minimum for their share.

Does that mean that chrstians won't get in to Olam Haba? We could discuss that, and at the risk of offense, I'll let you guide that discussion.

Good post Walker.

walker

Post  walker on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Yehudah wrote:
    walker wrote:I guess I'd be the protestant here... I was always taught that some people have special cents with G_d. For instance a Jew may not need xtian faith if he is observant because of his observant because of his father's promise from G_d (Abraham).

You aren't too far off Walker. By virtue of mattan Torah, Jews have a share. How much and what kind of share is determined by your lot here on earth and how you righteous you were. With Goyim it's the same way, with one exception: Goyim need to accept the 7 Laws of Noach as a guide for their lives at a minimum for their share.

Does that mean that chrstians won't get in to Olam Haba? We could discuss that, and at the risk of offense, I'll let you guide that discussion.

Good post Walker.

I think it has been discussed in another thread without any resolve.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:00 am