Geshmache Yid!

Welcome to our Forum. Please log in. If you have issues, please contact the adminstrator for assistance.
Geshmache Yid!

All things Jewish

St Valentines Day??

Yehudah

St Valentines Day??

Post  Yehudah on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:39 am

...from my blog...

I find it funny, hysterical, but very very sad.

The RCC in 469CE (Pope Gelasius I) established the feast of "St. Valentine". The problem with this feast is that there is nothing known about the life of the man who is called "St. Valentine".

The only thing "known" about his life is from a wood cutting that dates to 1492:

He was a Roman priest martyred during the reign of Claudius II, known as Claudius Gothicus. He was arrested and imprisoned upon being caught marrying Christian couples and otherwise aiding Christians who were at the time being persecuted by Claudius in Rome. Helping Christians at this time was considered a crime. Claudius took a liking to this prisoner -- until Valentinus tried to convert the Emperor -- whereupon this priest was condemned to death. He was beaten with clubs and stoned; when that didn't finish him, he was beheaded outside the Flaminian Gate. Various dates are given for the martyrdom or martyrdoms: 269, 270, or 273.

So interestingly enough, according to this, he doesn't really qualify as a "Saint". In fact, while he is on the list of RCC martyr's, and considered a "Saint", his commemoration has been removed from the official RCC calendar, substituted with a mention.

Lastly, there is nothing in history that relates him to being a patron of Love, like how secular society understands "Valentines' Day".

So there you have it folks. Valentines Day is basically a very minor day even for the RCC to remember a martyr. And because there is no proof suggesting that he had anything to do with Love as we understand it, today's Valentines Day is just a reason for the commercial world to take your money.

Of course, as a religious Jew, it's treife. No question.

Admin

Re: St Valentines Day??

Post  Arik on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:57 am

Ok thanks for clearing that up, because just last night I was thinking about where exactly this "holiday" comes from.
    Yehudah

Post  Yehudah on Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:22 pm

I've always known.

It's yet another case of the commericial world capitalizing on something that means nothing... and so much so that businesses are made and broken because of it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:24 pm